zondag 3 mei 2015

Gouda on a sunny day in April

It's been quite some time since I last posted something here on my blog. I didn't exactly plan to take a break from blogging, it just happened. Maybe the fact that I discovered Instagram last summer has something to do with it. It is so easy to take a picture and post it on Instagram. If you'd like to see what I've been up to, you can always take a look at my Instagram here. It goes without saying that over the last six months I didn't take all that many pictures with my camera but recently I did.
About three weeks ago, we went to Holland for three days and that of course was more than reason enough to grab the camera and take a whole lot of pictures I'd love to share with you all. Enjoy!



On our way to Amsterdam we decided to make a stop in Gouda, known for its Gouda cheese of course but  I was looking forward to see the beautiful old cityhall standing in the middle of Gouda's marketsquare. That view I didn't exactly get though. Can you believe it, right on the day we passed through Gouda, there was the annual fabric spectacle going on on the marketsquare. The place was really filled with fabric stalls. I never saw so many fabrics together. If I had been on my own, I certainly would have taken the time to have a closer look and maybe even buy some fabric but that wasn't the case.


Behind the stalls you can see the 'waag', the building where the cheese was weighed. It's now a national monument. You can buy cheese or typical souvenirs from Holland in there now and there's a cheese museum. It stands across the cityhall on the marketsquare.


No pictures of an overview of the marketsquare with the cityhall in the middle as I had expected to take, but pictures looking up to the part of cityhall that wasn't hidden behind fabric stalls.
Love the red and white shutters!


It really is a pretty building. And notice the blue sky! It was a gorgeous Spring day!


I must have been the only one taking pictures of the cityhall,
secondary as it was to the fabric that day ;)


But there's more to Gouda than the cityhall and the marketsquare.
Like Amsterdam it also has his 'grachten', canals, as you can see on the pictures below. 





One last view on the cityhall and that was it for our short stop in Gouda.



Next time, I'll show you how we experienced Amsterdam.


Marian








18 opmerkingen:

  1. Welcome back! Lovely stroll, Holland is such a beautiful country!
    See you on instagram!
    Olympia

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. It is a beautiful country indeed. I always love to visit there.

      Verwijderen
  2. Fijn dat je er weer bent, Marian! Leuk dat je een paar dagen in Nederland was. Ons land kent prachtige sfeervolle plaatsen, die een bezoek meer dan waard zijn. In Gouda ben ik echter nog nooit geweest, maar dat ziet er ook al zo mooi uit. Ik ben benieuwd naar je ervaringen in Amsterdam!

    Liefs, Ingrid

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Ik ben altijd onder de indruk van hoe mooi en charmant Nederland is. Waar je ook komt, de huizen, de gezelligheid, ik hou er echt van.

      Verwijderen
  3. Hoi Marian,
    Gelukkig kan ik al heel lang genieten van jouw mooie foto's op instagram, trouw volger daar...
    Maar ook hier laat je ons gelukkig weer veel moois zien. Gouda ken ik eigenlijk niet zo, maar dat van de kaas dat heb je ook in Alkmaar, dat is pas echt bekend van de kaasmarkt en het wegen van de kazen en ook zo'n gebouw; De Waag...
    Ik ben heel benieuwd wat je hebt gezien in Amsterdam...
    Fijne nieuwe week,
    Liefs,
    Mirjam

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Mooie post.....fijne week liefs Ria...x!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. This was lovely Marian! Gouda cheese is one of my favourites but I had no idea it was named after the city it originated from. I would have loved to have leisurely browsed the fabric stalls, but like yourself would have needed to be alone to really do so. Beautiful photos and a wonderful beginning to your spring. Pleased to find you on Instagram too - I have just recently joined and love it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Come to think of it, most cheeses I know are named after a city, and Gouda is as well. There's also Edam(Edammer is my favourite cheese) near Amsterdam but we didin't get the chance to go there. Not enough time, we had to be back home but enjoyed our little trip to Holland. It was so great to get away even for just a few days.

      Verwijderen
  6. Hi, Marian!
    I see you had wonderful trip to Holland. The city of Gouda is so pretty and I thing I should visit it too.
    The photos you posted are very professional.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. It's pretty, small and well worth a visit, but try to avoid that one day in the year when there's the fabric spectacle ;) You could go on a thursday in Spring when the cheese are being laid out in front of the town Hall.

      Verwijderen
  7. Hej Marian, je bent weer terug! Wat fijn!
    Ik dacht dat je gestopt was na zo lange tijd.
    Gouda is een prachtige stad. Ik ben er ook wel eens geweest. Je kunt het stadhuis ook binnen bekijken.
    Benieuwd naar je Amsterdamse trip!

    Liefs, Gerry

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hey Gerry, neen hoor, nooit de bedoeling gehad om te stoppen met bloggen maar het liep gewoon zo. Ons dagje Amsterdam komt er ook nog aan!

      Verwijderen
  8. It is lovely to see you back here again Marian - you are not alone in switching more to instagram, many of my followers seem to be doing the same.
    Your trip to Amsterdam looks delightful, blue skies, beautiful architecture, and I love those red and white shutters in Gouda

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I'll try to post more often here again Rosemary. Especially if I have had the luck to get away from home and travel a little bit like now. Instagram is faster so I guess it fits into busy schedules better but sometimes I want to tell more and of course I love the comments. Will be working on a blogpost of our day in Amsterdam.

      Verwijderen
  9. Hi Marian,, It was lovely to see a post from you again! What a shame that you weren't able to see the cheeses laid out in front of the town hall. We visited there when the children were younger and I do have a picture some where with the cheese. It was quite a sight which we have never forgotten. Sarah x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Sarah, the cheeses are laid out every thursday but we passed through Gouda on a tuesday. It must indeed be a unforgettable sight to see all the cheeses on the marketsquare in front of the town hall. We'll just have to visit again ;)

      Verwijderen